If you already have a BlackBerry® or just got your hands on the new BlackBerry Classic™, you know how dedicated these devices are to helping you get things done. Sending emails, writing text messages and tweaking documents—fast and simple communication is BlackBerry’s strong suit.
Check out a few of these secret BlackBerry codes and shortcuts to get the most out of your device. They’re like BlackBerry’s version of Easter eggs—the hidden features developers build into a device or operating system that can be discovered with a few inconspicuous keystrokes.
For most BlackBerry 10 devices
- Make weight and measurement conversions: In the calculator app, enter a value and hit the Menu key (if using a smartphone) or pull down from the top of the screen and select Unit Converter (if using a tablet). Scroll through, and you’ll find a wide variety of measurements you can convert to, such as units of speed, power, pressure, temperature and time.
- Hide the keyboard: Hold the space bar.
- Cut or copy text: Using two fingers, touch the beginning and end of the text you want to cut or copy, then press Cut or Copy at the bottom of the screen.
- Zoom in on a web page: Double tap the screen quickly.
- Add an accented character: Touch a letter for a few seconds until you see a menu of choices.
For the BlackBerry Classic
- Type to call someone: Type “call” and the name or number of the person you want to contact (“call Alex” or “call 555-5849”).
- Reply to all: Press L in an email or PIN message.
- Reply to just the sender: Press R.
- Enable speakerphone: Press the currency key when talking on your BlackBerry.
- Compose a new message: Press C within the BlackBerry hub.
- Launch BBM: From the Home screen, press and hold N.
- Silence your notifications: Press and hold Q.
- Scroll straight to top or bottom: Within the Hub, browser and a number of other lists, you can press B to go to the bottom and T to reach the top.
For the BlackBerry® Z30
- Type commands from your Home screen: Tap the magnifying glass search button and type a command, like “play classic rock playlist” to listen to music.
- Take a screenshot: Press the Up key and the Down key at the same time on your volume control.
- Restart the device: Press and hold the power button at the top of the phone and tap Restart.
- View your unlock password as you type it: Click the eyeball icon on the right side of the prompt box.
Now that you’re in the know, try using a few of these hidden BlackBerry codes yourself!